September 5, 2011

Automatic Timecode Format in Excel




One of the nice things about typing timecode into Avid is that it fills in the colons, semi-colons and leading zeros automatically for you as you type. So it can be annoying when using Excel, for things like timing sheets or continuities, to have to manually input those characters. Here’s a way to add a custom format in Excel so it will automatically format the timecode, just like Avid.


First, select the empty cells you want to automatically format to timecode when you type. Then go up to Format and choose Cells. Under Category choose Custom, and in the Type field paste this:


00\:00\:00\;00


Then click OK.






Now when you type numbers into those cells it will format it like timecode. For example, if you type 01051418 it will automatically change it to 01:05:14;18. And if you type 0516 it will automatically format it to 00:00:05;16, adding the leading zeros.


If you want to make the timcode formatted like Non-Drop Frame Timecode, with a colon instead of a semi-colon for the frame #, use this as the custom format text:


00\:00\:00\:00


If you have any tips to share about working with timecode in Excel please leave a comment below.

18 comments:

  1. Awesome, this works!! You've saved me a bundle of extra annoying typing - YOU ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've been reading Excel formatting forums trying to determine how to code this and you just had it hanging out there. Agree - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank youuuuuuuuuu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyway to do addition or subrtraction with these based on various TC rates? 24/25/29, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that I know of unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! would you know how to setup a formula for creating a running time calculation like a
    adding mutiple items and keeping a cumlative time? side by side each segment time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually I have a 2nd request, I figured out how to add the cells and keep a running total of the time, however I need it to be in base 60. hours:min:sec;frames minutes - anything above 59 to roll over to the hour mark, and I need seconds anything above 59 to roll to the minute mark, and frames reaching 30 to roll over to the seconds 00:00:82;00 I would need it to look like this: 00:01:02;00

    Anybody know how to make this magic happen ? I have no idea? Need it for a tv show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your blog frequently and I just thought I’d say keep up the amazing work!
    excel vba training london

    ReplyDelete
  9. does this translate to google sheets? trying to find and I know nothing about creating formulas, only use excel to transcribe video. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankssssssssssss

    If anyone knows how to make it count right (eg: "00:00:00;23 + 1 = 00:00:01;00") please tell me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why it went anonymous

      Delete
    2. I am interested in this as well. Also how to use the spreadsheet as a calculator. Anybody has any ideas_

      Delete
    3. This is the solution:
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_mj7JmciCAhs6Tj1Qh3cw22GbSaF9Zwz

      Delete
  11. This is the solution:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_mj7JmciCAhs6Tj1Qh3cw22GbSaF9Zwz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing knowledge and I like to share this kind of information with my friends and hope they like it they why I do anti deriv calc

    ReplyDelete
  13. To have it hide the leading zeroes do this:
    ##\:#0\:00\;00

    ReplyDelete